Tourism

Bell Tower

bell-tower

San Augustine Church and Bell Tower – one of the oldest churches of Ilocos Sur, it was built in 1590 with Fr. Montoya, as the first parish priest. The Augustinian friars named it after St. Augustine, the Patron Saint. The church was damaged during the World War II but was reconstructed in 1950. The restored facade is of neo-gothic design mixed with pseudo-Romanesque materials and elements. Its grandiose design afforded a reminiscent of the old Spanish architecture using indigenous materials, which are of bricks and slime. According to great ancestors, fishermen found the image of Our Lady of Charity placed in a wooden box floating in Bantaoay river and when the news broke, people from other towns and Provinces came to take the image but could not be moved and only people from Bantay were able to carry the miraculous image. It became the sanctuary of Our Lady of Charity on January 12, 1956, when the most Reverend Msgr. Vagnozzi, the Papal Nuncio to the Philippines, crowned the miraculous image as the Patroness of Ilocandia. The picturesque bellfry sits on a hilltop (atop the Calvario Hill) overlooking a vivid green vast of pastureland and the mountain view of the Province of Abra. It was used as a watchtower for invading enemy forces during World Wars I and II. Evidently, the Bantay Church and bell tower are the monumental witnesses to various atrocities, uprisings and staged revolts

Quirino Bridge (Banaoang Bridge)

_mg_9228

 this scenic bridge is named after the late former President, Elpidio Qurino and it spreads across the Abra river connecting the rocky mountain slopes of the town of Santa and the tail end of Bantay. Otherwise referred to as ‘Banaoang bridge’, it majestically connects and separates two transcending mountains and widely praised because of its marvelous engineering and grand architectural design as glorified by its splendid panoramic beauty, strength and durability when it survived the bombings of World War II. It is considered as one of the most superior bridges built by men because of the utilization of natural endowments combined with fabricated materials.

Victoria Park – locally known as Caniao falls, this square was named in honor of one of the daughters of former President Elpidio Quirino. It is located at Mount Caniao and it features a crystal clear natural spring water-source supplying the Municipality and its neighboring town, Vigan. The Department of Environment and Natural Resources maintains herein a botanical garden and a favorite venue for lovers of nature, particularly for wildlife hunters, hikers, mountain trailers, campers and as a picnic groove to residents and vacationers.

Mt. Tupira – situated on top of Mount Caniao, from this site the entirety of the Municipality of Bantay can be viewed. It is situated in such an elevated position that gives access and advantage in telecommunications and relay stations. Transmission lines and network facilities of PLDT, RCPI, PILTEL and other cellular communication companies could be found atop of its mountainous slopes.
Diego Silang Park and LGU Gym – The Diego Silang Park was named before the heroic feat of an Ilocano hero who was killed at this very site. It was build in 1763 during the Spanish reign to lend distinction to him and to the mestizo killer, hired by the Spaniard, by the name of Vicos. It is actually the heart and soul of the [main] town plaza where political exercises and social functions or gatherings are held. The Bantay gym is found at the back of the plaza that has playground facilities and sports amenities

bantay

San Augustine Church

– one of the oldest churches of Ilocos Sur, it was built in 1590 with Fr. Montoya, as the first parish priest. The Augustinian friars named it after St. Augustine, the Patron Saint. The church was damaged during the World War II but was reconstructed in 1950. The restored facade is of neo-gothic design mixed with pseudo-Romanesque materials and elements. Its grandiose design afforded a reminiscent of the old Spanish architecture using indigenous materials, which are of bricks and slime. According to great ancestors, fishermen found the image of Our Lady of Charity placed in a wooden box floating in Bantaoay river and when the news broke, people from other towns and Provinces came to take the image but could not be moved and only people from Bantay were able to carry the miraculous image.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player